Capirotadas are the best part of Lent and Easter – yes, we said that.
This Mexican favorite bread pudding is somehow sweet and salty at the same time, and always delicious. While the main ingredient in capirotadas is bread — usually bolillos — we everything know the debate that breaks out when we talk about all the other components of the dish.
Yes, we really love capirotadas that bring grated cheese or queso fresco, but other people want their dish to look like a dessert with tons of sprinkles. Others can’t imagine capirotadas without onions, while raisins, bananas, tomatoes, and apples are all possibilities.
Capirotadas are not easy to understand and are an acquired taste, but as TikToker @latishoroficial says, “se come las mentiras del tóxico pero no se comen la capirotada?” Uh, burn.
We’ve taken a deep dive on TikTok and rounded up all the best capirotada recipes to make your Easter as flavorful and comforting as physically possible. These recetas are easy, inviting, and all a little different—many are actually secret family recipes—and bring traditions from Sinaloa, Michoacán, Sonora, and more. Enjoy!
1. Michoacán capirotadas for the win – especially coming from an almost 80-year-old madre Mexicana who throws bread like a chancleta.
2. Traditional piloncillo capirotadas honey and tres leches capirotadas with a good dose of rum? Yes please.
3. Quédate con el que te mira like the way we look at these capirotadas – and any video that has Samuray’s “Un Día Sin Ti” as background music.
4. A tradition that we can follow 100%? Serve sweet capirotadas with arroz con leche on the side.
5. Capirotada Sinaloense is another option that always hits the spot, featuring tortillas on the bottom covered in bread, raisins, tons of piloncillo honey, and macho platano.
6. If you want something sweet, simple and tres leches, can we introduce you to the strawberry capirotadas de leche? It’s different, but we need this.
7. This TikTok video shares a secret recipe for abuelita’s family capirotada, and it’s good: piloncillo honey with cloves, toast with butter and garlic, cheddar cheese, nuts and raisins. Sweet and savory paradise.
8. If you like a sweet capirotada like candy, this recipe is perfect. yes we want everything the nuggets and leche condensada, thank you.
9. If you want a capirotada al estilo Sonora, look no further. and banana could be so perfect?
10. Another recipe approved by mom and abuela, it introduces the tomato in the piloncillo honey, while being sweet and salted with cheese and sprinkles. According to the TikToker, “la neta que quedó good good. Sold!
11. An easy capirotada hack? Put cooking spray on the bread to toast it easily in the oven and drizzle it with cajeta at the end.
Do you notice the necessary corrections? Please email us at [email protected]