“As a female business owner, I can speak firsthand about the importance of all the skills that Girl Scouts learn.”
The Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge is back for its eighth year! After going on hiatus in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Girl Scouts-Arizona Cactus-Pine Council (GSACPC) has announced the return of the activity, which runs throughout the month. Twenty acclaimed chefs from central and northern Arizona locations will participate in this year’s friendly competition to create a winning dessert with one of these Girl Scout cookies: Thin Mints, Samoas, Tagalongs, Do-Si-Dos, Trefoils or Lemon-Ups.
“Participating chefs will use their culinary prowess to reinvent these classic Boy Scout cookies into a delicious dessert and feature it on their menus throughout February. A portion of the proceeds will support Girl Scouting in Arizona,” said GSACPC Acting Co-CEO Mary Mitchell.
There is a voting element to the challenge. Beginning February 1 and continuing through the end of the month, the public can visit girlscoutsaz.org/dessertchallenge to vote for their favorite dessert. At the end of the Challenge and based on a qualified vote, a 2022 champion will be crowned.
This year’s central and northern Arizona contestants and their tasty creations include:
The county seat
- Cookie: Lemon-Ups
- Dessert: Level Up Lemon Bar
- Description: Talk about an update on Grandma’s Lemon Bar! This twist blends into Lemon-Up Girl Scout Cookies and adds a cheesecake-style filling and candied lemon zest to complete this take on a classic.
- Address: 120 W. Gurley St., Prescott, AZ 86301
- Website: countyseataz.com
“We started as a small restaurant and have grown a lot more, thanks in large part to the support of the community. Giving back to this community we love is in our DNA, and [supporting] Girl Scouts are a great way to do that and support future female leaders,” said Skyler Reeves, owner of Viilli Hospitality Group, owner of The County Seat.
Beaver Street Brewery
- Cookie: Samoas and Clovers
- Dessert: Tiramisu coconut and caramel
- Description: Whipped mascarpone topped with chunks of samoa and Girl Scout clover.
- Address: 11 S. Beaver St. #1, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Website: beaverstreetbrewery.com
Lumberyard Brewing Company
- Cookie: Clovers
- Dessert: pot of strawberry shortcake
- Description: This vanilla pudding is enhanced with the addition of Girl Scout clover and fresh strawberries, all of which are layered in a mason jar and topped with whipped cream.
- Address: 5 S. San Francisco St., Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Website: lumberyardbrewingcompany.com
“I was a Girl Scout for eight years and my mother, Winnie, was a troop leader for my sister’s troop in Flagstaff. Growing up as a Girl Scout gives you a strong connection to your community and gives you the opportunity to explore new things. Besides my mom and I, a lot of our team members are former Girl Scouts, so it’s very personal for us. I think we’ve been involved since the first year, in fact, or almost every year we’ve been able to,” said Kelly Hanseth, owner of Beaver Street and Lumberyard.
Shift Kitchen & Bar
- Biscuit: Fine mints
- Dessert: mint-chocolate churros
- Description: Handcrafted to order, these chocolate churros are powdered with Girl Scout Thin Mints. Once fried, they are plated with a cream cheese whip, mint powder, chocolate sauce, chocolate crunch and a scoop of Earl Gray gelato.
- Address: 107 N. San Francisco St. Ste 2, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Website: shiftflg.com
“As a female business owner, I can speak firsthand about the importance of all the skills that young Girl Scouts learn. From public speaking and financial management to strategic planning and creativity. , it’s the perfect introduction to entrepreneurship. My goal is to guide and support any young woman in northern Arizona who wants to lead her community,” said Shift owner Dara Wong.
Grand Canyon Brewery and Distillery
- Biscuit: Fine mints
- Dessert: Trifle with mint chocolate mousse
- Description: Forget Rachel’s disastrous trifle in Friends! This beauty is smooth and creamy with layers of mint-infused chocolate mousse and white chocolate mousse, made even richer with Girl Scout Thin Mint powder. It’s topped with Thin Mint crumbles and whipped cream and topped with berries plus a bonus Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie.
- Address: 1800 S. Milton Road Suite 11, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Website: grandcanyonbrewery.com
“A big part of what we do at Grand Canyon Brewing & Distillery is to give back and support local groups that empower young people in our community. When the opportunity to participate in the dessert challenge presented itself, I was thrilled to participate and help show our local girls that we care about them and want to see them succeed,” said John Peasley, founder of Grand Canyon Brewing & Distillery. QCBN
By Alison Bailin, FBN
Alison Bailin is Director of Customer Service at HMA Public Relations.